We have set up a Library users group for all those
registered users who are able to provide us with an email
address. Details on our website at
<http://www.ex.ac.uk/library/eml/bulletin.html>
If users do not have an email address but still wish to
join, we help them set up a free web-based email with
Hotmail, Mailcity or similar. We currently have around 400
members and it is growing daily as users become more IT
aware and appreciate the benefits. It has proved
particularly useful for off-site members working out in GP
practices or the community.

This group is used as a 2 way communications channel
between us and the users - not for users between each
other. It has proved really succesful in forging links with
our users and making them feel an integral part of the
Library service. It has been created as an offshoot from
our Library registration files where users research and
study interests are recorded. We are thus able to target
the  special interests of small groups of users - a new
resource available for neurologists perhaps, or midwives.

We also use the usergroup and registration files for
managing and administering passwords for accessing
databases and electronic journals or for notifying
changes in methods of access to these. This can of course
be done to the users collectively, or selectively.

In addition we produce a frequent bulletin which is emailed
to all members of the users group informing them of changes
and developments within the library and new resources made
available to them from our library website
<http://www.ex.ac.uk/library/eml/>

The website is itself a major component of the
registration/users group/website upon which the electronic
service to our users is based. The website provides the
gateway to accessing all the resources - databases,
ejournals, catalogues, journals holdings etc. There is also
a facility from the website for accredited users to
register online, giving them automatic membership of the
users group.

Because the majority of our users are still not members of
our users group, we also archive recent issues of the
emailed bulletin on our website where it can be viewed or
referred back to by all users.
<http://www.ex.ac.uk/library/eml/bulletin.html>

This has definitely been a very worthwhile undertaking for
this library and has greatly enhanced awareness of our
services, forging good links with our users. We've still
got a long way to go to make everyone aware of what we can
offer, but we are certainly getting there. Think it through
carefully before starting out and be prepared for it to
take a considerable amount of time. It will
certainly generate lots of enquiries.

Jill Maxted

On Tue, 12 Dec 2000 09:43:19 +0000 "Colchester General
Hospital, Library" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Hello
>
> We are thinking of setting up a user group to give us feedback and a
> better idea of user needs.  Has anyone had any experience in setting one
> up in their own library? What sort of response did you get from users?
> What format does the group take? Am grateful to hear good and bad
> experiences!
>
> Apologies for cross posting.
>
> Steph Picton
> Stephanie Picton
> Assistant Librarian
> North Essex Hospitals' Library & Information Service
> Colchester General Hospital
> Turner Road
> Colchester
> Essex
> CO4 5JL
> T: (01206) 742146 or 742396
> F: (01206) 742107

Jill Maxted (University of Exeter)
Exeter Medical Library, Postgraduate Medical Centre,
Barrack Road, Exeter, EX2 5DW. Tel. 01392 403002
e-mail [log in to unmask]

VISIT OUR WEBSITE AT
http://www.ex.ac.uk/library/eml/