NHS Direct Online has had a quality appraisal process since its launch last
year. We have been working with DISCERN and OMNI to identify quality
websites and appraise patient information materials, giving them star
ratings derived from DISCERN. This is a transparent process with links from
the Conditions and Treatments section of NHS Direct Online to DISCERN and
OMNI sites, explaining the appraisal processes. I am happy to be funding
OMNI and DISECERN during the current financial year to develop and refine
the mechanisms further.

The NHS Plan makes a specific commitment to "kitemarking" information for
patients (paras 1.10 and 12.3)This will become part of the new NHSplus
service identified in the plan as an agency for producing NHS print and
broadcast information. Until the Modernisation Board starts its work we
don't know exactly the form NHSplus will take but I am confident that it
will build on existing work on quality appraisal.

Bob Gann
Director
NHS Direct Online
Highcroft, Romsey Road