I should like to ask colleagues what they are doing about the use of
offprints taken from web sites.

Quite often lately, and I'm thinking here in terms of 'Official'
publications, say, Acts, White and Green papers, these are available almost
immediately. Naturally, users want access to these as soon as possible.

In so far as I'm able to judge, having waded through the 'Letter to
Librarians' put out by HMSO a while ago, we are allowed to offprint,
catalogue and use one copy under the 'Fair Dealing' rule. What I really want
to know, though, is if any other colleagues are already doing this, and if
anyone knows the specific bit of legislation or clause that allows this. I'm
thinking in terms of cataloguing one copy for reference purposes only. The
ISBN, even where available, would not be used as a control number, and it
would be made quite clear on the catalogue that the item had been taken from
the web.

Any ideas, points of view, or information gratefully received.

Peter Ebrey
Subject Librarian