I dont think we are in the same league size wise as Bristol
and caledonian but we keep ALL bar annual current journals
on large display racks with shelves underneath for the non
current but this years issues.
We take about 700-ish titles on seven enourmous racks and
people seem to like it. the staff can just zap round with a
trolley tossing the new issue on the display bit and filing
the old one in its box underneath. Its also quicker when it
comes to binding time because we dont have to go round the
whole library.

Marina

On Fri, 3 Mar 2000 09:24:32 +0000 (GMT Standard Time) H L
Bailey <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> In Bristol University Arts and Social Sciences Library we have exactly
> this kind of display (i.e. no annuals) and several years ago we
> discussed shelving the current parts (which we don't lend) alongside
> the bound volumes.
> There was quite a heated debate as I remember and we decided not to
> change at that time.  The main argument was that as we display the
> current parts on the ground floor it was easy for academics to pop in,
> take a quick look at the most recent one and pop out again without
> having to go up to the reading floors and then look for somewhere to
> sit.  Our photocopiers are all on the ground floor too so that was
> another argument.
> I would be interested in current thinking on this subject because we
> too have staffing difficulties.
> ----------------------
> Heather L.Bailey
> User Services Librarian
> Arts & Social Sciences Library
> Tyndall Avenue
> Bristol, BS8 1TJ
> Tel: 0117 - 9288277
>

> On Fri, 03 Mar 2000 09:19:01 +0000 John Crawford
> <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> > At Glasgow Caledonian University Library we have a
> current serials > display of newly received journals. It
> has been causing us problems for > some time as we do not
> have the staff to organise the display of new > journals.
> There are  also anomalies. Annuals and reference journals
> are > not displayed, for example. We therefore feel that
> this is an inferior > service and are considering the
> possibility of scrapping it altogether. > Has anyone had
> similar experiences which would help us to come to a >
> decision. >
> > Thanks >
> > John Crawford > Library Research Officer,
> > Glasgow Caledonian University Library > Cowcaddens Rd.
> > Glasgow G4 OBA > Tel 0141-331-3847
> > Fax 0141-331-3005 > email [log in to unmask]

Marina Bruce
Deputy Librarian
St. George's Hospital Medical School
University of London

Opinions expressed those of the author and not the institution