Can I express a contrary view, at least with the
possibility of stimulating discussion?

It seems to me that the report was so permissive that it
implies that the Government doesn't really mind very much
what RLSs do or don't do.  This therefore implies to me that
they think that RLSs are not very important.  If we take the
NHS as a comparison, the idea that there should be regional
differences in the options for health care as between
regions is a very contentious one.  The assumption rather is
that wherever you are, you should expect there to be a
national standard of provision.  Shouldn't we be saying the
same with respect to library interworking as facilitated by
the regions?  (For example, some of the libraries we are
talking about are NHS libraries.)

I would argue that, by condoning the rather laissez-faire
approach of the discussion paper, we are implicitly
accepting that RLSs don't matter that much.  Some people
may believe that, but it is not a view I would have
expected LINC to endorse.

Bernard Naylor

On Mon, 10 Jan 00 10:21:40 +0000 Pat Wressell
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> *Apologies for cross-posting*
>
> LINC News Release
>
> 10 January 2000		          For immediate release
>
> Regional focus for libraries needed
>
> LINC responds to DCMS discussion paper
>
> The Library and Information Co-operation Council (LINC) has welcomed
> "Libraries and the Regions: A Discussion Paper", issued by the Department
> for Culture, Media and Sport (DCMS), and generally supports its key
> recommendations. In the context of Regional Cultural Consortiums,
> Regional Development Agencies, and the prospect of the Museums, Libraries
> and Archives Council (MLAC) the Paper is welcomed as a focus for debate
> on the strategic role of the Regional Library Systems (RLSs).
>
> LINC believes that significant funding implications are "certain", rather
> than "likely", in the drive to tackle strategic issues and supports the
> recommendation that RLSs should explore the options available for
> obtaining additional resources. The funding issue also underlines the
> need for cross-sectoral co-operation in the utilisation of resources,
> LINC points out.
>
> LINC considers that, as an interface between Government, the Regions and
> MLAC, it will be able to play an important role as a mechanism for the
> strategic development of regional library co-operative systems and can
> act as a sounding board and consultation mechanism.
>
> While LINC agrees that individual RLSs should choose which services they
> should offer, it supports the view that partnership with other cultural
> agencies is essential. "The use of new technologies to facilitate
> co-operation and access as traditional inter-library lending practices
> are superseded, will be vital", LINC says.
>
> On geographical boundaries, LINC endorses the view that libraries should
> be represented on Regional Cultural Consortiums by bodies based in their
> respective geographical areas, but stresses that such bodies must be able
> to take a strategic view of priorities and opportunities for the sector.
> It accepts coterminosity as a desirable objective, if it can be achieved.
> LINC believes that "the ability to take a strategic view and to represent
> the sector effectively at all levels, strategically, operationally and
> politically, is more important than being constrained by regional
> boundaries".
>
> On the need for greater strategic and co-operative working between
> libraries and museums and archives, LINC points out that, along with its
> member organisations, it is already working to develop relationships with
> MLAC and with regional bodies in those sectors.
>
> The Discussion Paper recommends that RLSs should investigate the
> possibility of a merger between LINC and CONARLS (Circle of Officers of
> National and Regional Library Systems) to create a strong single voice
> and a national focus of expertise for the Regions. LINC points out that
> while LINC is the Council of the Regions and related bodies, CONARLS is
> [...]

Bernard Naylor                  Email: [log in to unmask]
University Librarian            Tel: 023 8059 2677
University of Southampton       Fax: 023 8059 5451
Highfield
Southampton, SO17 1BJ