Dear Phillip,

We are only just beginning to scrape the surface of this
issue (non-HE users and ejournals) here at King's College.

We have high levels of walk-in use at 3 of our 5 sites, all
of them mixed HE/NHS Hospital Trust. We are beginning to
audit our existing ejournal licenses to examine the
restrictions on walk-in use and the next logical step will
be to look at how to provide desktop access for NHS users,
especially as some of them offer teaching to our students.

Please could I ask the usual question - that you summarize
findings for the list?

Kate Brunskill
Journals Services
King's College London

> I've been asked to look into the issue of extending
> existing licence agreements for online services / databases
> to incorporate local / regional organisations and bodies
> from sectors outside HE (e.g. Research Institutes,
> Hospitals, etc...).  I'd especially like to hear from other
> Universities / Colleges that have either investigated this
> topic or been able to implement some kind of arrangement
> with suppliers / publishers already. However, views from
> commercial participants on how they are addressing this
> issue would be equally helpful. All replies (which can be
> sent direct to me instead of the list, if this is felt to
> be more desirable) would be welcome.  Many thanks.
>
> Philip

> Philip R. Bellamy,
> Assistant Librarian (Electronic Projects),
> UEA Library,
> Norwich, NR4 7TJ.
>
> phone: 01603-592412
> fax: 01603-259490

Kate Brunskill
Journals Services Team Leader (South)
King's College, London
020 7848 4858 (phone)
020 7848 4290 (fax)

EJOURNALS FOR MED,BIOMED,DENT,HEALTH&LIFE,NURSING&MIDWIFERY
http://www.kcl.ac.uk/depsta/iss/md_lib/elecjnls/elecjnls.html