Dear List Members

I am dealing with an issue which, although relates to local government
boundaries, probably has some parallels with international boundaries.

The boundaries of a number of New Zealand local government districts are defined
as including "all adjacent islands and islets".  The question has arisen about
what the word "adjacent" means - how close does something have to be before it
is adjacent?  The answer I guess is a matter of judgement in each particular
case.  Is anyone able to point me to any literature, decisions or agreements
dealing with this issue?

A related question concerns the word "islet".  How big does a rock have to be to
qualify as an islet?  Given that the Convention on the Law of the Sea states
that "An island is a naturally formed area of land, surrounded by water, which
is above water at high tide", we have probably confused the issue by referring
to islets as well as islands.  However comment on that issue would be
appreciated.

Thanks

Donald Riezebos