One problem with modular courses is that the QAA are trying to enforce the
idea that students should "pass" every module they take (and maybe every
learning outcome!). This would put them at a major disadvantage as compared
to students on a more traditional course, where nobody outside the exam
board knows which parts of the course have been passed or failed. In an
example of a non-modular course I know it is possible to get a first-class
honours mark by doing no work at all on roughly half the courses,

           best wishes,

        Paul Strickland.