Hello all -

ILT membership/staff development for part time lecturers

I work on Higher Education policy issues for NATFHE nationally.  I am
also project worker for a joint project between NATFHE, AUT, the ILT,
UCoSDA/THETO and the universities of Brighton and Sussex, and University
College Chichester.

It is a Union Learning Fund one year research project looking at part
time lecturers in the three institutions, their characteristics/work
patterns, access to training and staff development in HE teaching and
learning support, and their (likely) attitudes to ILT membership.  In
this context we identify "part time lecturers" as those with hourly
paid, or less than .5 contracts.  (We are not tackling issues around
learning support staff who do some teaching - constraints of scope and
time).  Amongst other things, we hope to help identify what is needed to
support part timers who might be interested in achieving and sustaining
ILT membership.

As part of the project I want to find out as much as possible about
practice across the sector in relation to staff development, induction,
teaching and learning support for part timers.  I am aware of some of
the FDTL projects, and have seen the SHEFC/UCOSDA publication.  If
anyone has any information/experience in this area I would be very
interested to hear from you.  Maybe you have institutional/departmental
experience.  Maybe you are a part timer!  Also if anyone wants further
info. about our project please let me know.

Liz Allen
Universities Department, NATFHE