Colleagues
I draw your attention to two upcoming theme sessions at meetings in the US in the next few months that I expect will be of interest to many of you and for which the convenors seek contributions.
Mike
Michael Brown

NE GSA 2001 (March 12-14, 2001; Burlington, Vermont, USA)

Theme Session 4: "Deformation, Metamorphism, and Melting: Interactions in the Crust"

Convenors: Tracy Rushmer, Gayle Gleason and Michael Brown

The convenors of this session invite those interested in physical and chemical evolution of the continental crust to contribute papers based on recent results. Theoretical, field and experimental studies are all welcome, and we encourage those in particular who are working in areas of current interest in the community, such as the rheology of the partially-molten crust, the geochemical and mechanical effects of melt in the crust, and mechanisms of melt segregation, extraction, ascent and emplacement.
Electronic abstract submission deadline December 5, 2000
Information at http://www.geosociety.org/sectdiv/northe/01nemtg.htm

Eleventh V.M. Goldschmidt Conference (May 20-24, 2001; Virginia, USA)

Session title: "Crustal Melting: From Grain Boundaries to Batholiths"

Convenors: Michael Brown and Robert J. Tracy

The aim of this session is to bring together geochemists and petrologists to consider processes involved in, and the geochemical consequences of, melt generation, segregation, ascent and emplacement in the crust during orogenesis.  These processes are investigated using fieldwork, microscopy, geochemistry, experiments, numerical methods, and theory. The geochemical consequences include crustal differentiation, the production of a granulite lower crust, concentration of heat producing elements in the upper crust and contamination of mantle-derived melts. Contributions, both oral and poster, that address any aspect of this broad theme will be welcome. We hope to arrange an informal field trip associated with this theme session.
Electronic abstract submission deadline February 16, 2001
Information at http://cass.jsc.nasa.gov/meetings/gold2001/gold2001.1st.html

Michael Brown

Professor of Geology
and
Chair of Department

Department of Geology                   [log in to unmask]
University of Maryland                  www.geol.umd.edu
College Park                             Direct line: (301) 405 4080
MD 20742-4211                           Dept. office: (301) 405 4082
USA                                       Dept. fax: (301) 314 9661

LABORATORY FOR CRUSTAL PETROLOGY (Information at: www.geol.umd.edu/pages/faculty/BROWN/lcp.html)