> why not just pay the price for your  faith?

Open practice is not a requirement of all faiths, nor at all stages of the
evolution of particular faiths.  In other words, different faiths have
different prices and since every one is not on the same system, it is not
possible to accurately compare the cost of Christianity with the cost of
Wicca, nor their relative benefits.

I would no more discuss my religious beliefs and practices with my students
than I would discuss my sex life.  It's just too intimate.  Not only that,
I do not want to make converts nor to appear as though I am trying to make
converts.  This may be more of a concern in the U.S. than in some other
countries, although even if I were in a less religiously repressive culture, I
don't think that I would want to make converts.  I also have concerns that if I
tell people my religion, they will automatically believe that they know me when
they actually have no idea. Now this is rather hypocritical, since I do
research in religion.  Here I am asking people all about their religion but
refusing to share my own in any but the vaguest sense.

It's one of the contradictions I live with.

Thanks to those who gave me leads on the "herbal lore" thread.

Carolyn