It is my understanding that veils in Greco-Roman times were used to
differentiate between proper women, women belonging to husbands and fathers,
and women of the street, prostitutes, concubines, and slaves. To wear the
veil indicated the ideal feminine virtue of shame.  See When Women Were
Priests by Karen Torjesen, Harper, 1993.  Tojesen is a scholar of patristics
and gender.

Donna