Age of World Wars? Yuk!

Phil

-----Original Message-----
From:	Brown, Duncan [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent:	11 May 2000 10:34
To:	[log in to unmask]
Subject:	RE: POST MEDIEVAL and MODERN

Am I right in thinking that Neil is suggesting using "Early Modern" as an
alternate/preferred term for "Post Medieval" (or at least part of that
period)? Would this be part of a sequence (eg Early, High, Late and Post
Modern)? If so, what would be the definitions of each part of the sequence?

Personally I dislike using the period term "Modern" except where it refers
to well-defined art/architectural movements. It is similar to using a
relative term like "Contemporary" which can be defined by the different
perspectives of either the subject or the object of a sentence.

What about alternative terms for "Modern" for the late 19th and 20th
centuries? Colonial, Age of World Wars, post-Industrial, or other relevant
terms somehow seem inadequate and partial from the present perspective.
Maybe "Nuclear" is one answer (Madame Curie - Manhattan Project - Chernobyl,
etc).

Duncan

Neil Campling wrote:

		This is why I suggested the term "Early Modern" to begin to
break the post-medieval period into meaningful chunks.  If the term
"Modernist" can apply to cultural items/schools of thought which are now
finished, surely "Modern" as a pure term could apply to a period in history
which is not current or recent.