>>It is no wonder that films have been compared to dreams--it
>>is only rarely that I become aware 'this is only a dream' while dreaming.
>>(sorry about the anecdote)

     anecdote forgiven . . . actually this is
     a VERY interesting suggestion, for note
     how in dreams, as in movies, we are typically
     helpless to do anything but watch and feel
     sensation . . . no one is doubting that
     "fictional" [hypothetical/imagined/imaginary]
     experience can and does cause sensation, only
     that we THINK it is real . . . perhaps the
     point is that in theaters as in sleep we don't
     "think" at all -- i'd buy that . . . it just
     reserves the word "think" for the mental
     process that indeed does know the dif. between
     lumiere's locomotive and amtrak's . . . would
     that satisfy all sides in the dispute??

     mike