>> The sound of the alarm `eee, eee, eee' as warning lights flashing and
the
>>life indicators go flat.  This is a chilling scene.  Put it on anytime
>>anywhere and people will stop and watch in silence.

so . . . . maybe examples do help, at least in doing some
sorting out . . . . for me [and this may be peculiar but it's
surely not idiosyncratic]  the most "chilling" scene in films is
the moment in THE SHINING when we sneak up behind nicholson's
typewriter and read what he's been typing so obsessively for weeks . . .
but that hardly counts as violence at all, even while promising
violence down the road . . .

for the purposes of this conversation [and perhaps only for
those purposes] can we agree that "violence" means the graphic
re-presentation via  enactment [in images OR in sounds] of
physical harm to living beings . . . i put it that way to include
sounds of suffering from off-screen [or the example from 2001] but
to exclude someone's telling ABOUT a violent event, in which
case the difference between showing and telling is critical

mike