Dear colleagues

We have just started a research project for the International Union of
Railways examining the messages and meanings staff, passengers and other
users of railway stations read from the station environment. What physical
affordances do railway stations provide in terms of opportunities for crime
and incivilities? What are the attributes of the station in terms of the
station management/organisation, the staff, the security system, and the
environment that makes it an attractive and likely target for criminal or
anti-social activity?

We are currently searching the web for material as well as undertaking a
literature review, but have found that there seems to be little published
research in this area.  If anyone has some suggestions for papers, reports,
etc  (including  surveys that have not necessarily been published) that we
ought to look at, I would be extremely grateful.

When we have compiled a database of publications we will, of course, be
very happy to send these to you or post them on the list if there is a
general wish for this.

Many thanks

David Uzzell
David Uzzell, BA, MSc, PhD, FBPsS, CPsychol
Department of Psychology
University of Surrey
Guildford
GU2 5XH