Why a back rest? It is not suitable for all back related problems. I always
called in the physio when at Hereward who often recommended a seat wedge (to
sit on) rather than a back rest.  If posture is important the wedge is often
more appropriate, it depends on the problem.
The wedge used on a standard university plastic chair encourages you to sit
upright and support your weight from the pelvis, a back rest can encourage
one to lean into it and distribute your weight all over the place.
Diagnosing back problems and solutions is v. dangerous unless you know what
you are doing. I'm not suggesting that you don't but in my experience back
rests appear to be less use than seat wedges.
If in doubt, ask a physio or refer them for an additional assessment has
always been my rule.
Mick Trott
In a message dated 21/11/00 10:55:55 GMT Standard Time, [log in to unmask]