Hi Bryan,
Good point.  That's always something I go into with the student,
sometimes suggesting a palmtop, Vtech IT or Revo Plus together with a
static PC as an alternative.  This combination allows the students
all the benefits of a laptop (a portable word processing unit, spell
checker, personal organiser etc) but none of the disadvantages (small
screen, bulky, easily lost/stolen).  Mostly the above combination is
a better solution for a student.  However in this particular case the
student is on a teacher training course and therefore (he's also
dyslexic) needs to have access to the computer on placement.

But I'm glad you raised the point because I would be very interested
to hear what other people suggest.
Jill