From: Bryan Jones [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 14 December 2000 10:04
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Admissions procedure <fwd>

As others have responded, it is important to pick up on
applications from students with disabilities.  The therory
of making contact, as others have described is all well and
good, but there are problems.

1.  Identifying the student.  Who picks up the code (1-9)
on the UCAS form?  Easy to miss and Admissions Offices are
very busy.  Admissions Tutor? In your dreams.  Many (often
inexperienced lecturers) do not get past the qualificaions
section.  The Disability Officer going through every single
application?  Well if you have the time.

2. Many applicants (majority) seem to feel the need to
reveal the most irrelevant issues that will have no impact
on their studies at all.  I do get to these applications
(most hopefully, but note problems above) and the vast
majority are simply not an issue at all.  Is it necessary
for these applicants to receive the Disability Statement
Booklet? (It costs in both resources and staff time).

3.  It is important to pick up those applicants who really
do need follow up.  Simply sending every applicant a
standard letter and a booklet and expecting the applicant
to contact you for further information is not sufficient.

4. Clearing? - don't even go there.

On Wed, 13 Dec 2000 15:20:16 +0000 linda maguire
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Hi Everyone,
>
> I know it is approaching Xmas and everyone is looking forward to
> a break, but I am revising our admissions procedures here at
> Queen's and I would appreciate your advice and models of good
> of good practice.
>
> The nature of information i was looking includes, - when the
> student discloses their disability  on the Ucas form, when do
> the rest of you contact the student regarding their disability
> and support requirements. Do you invite the student to come to
> visit you?  and at what stage does that happen. Currently before
> I took up post, the Admissions Office would have sent some
> students information to the Health Service, which we are now
> reviewing.
>
> I would appreciate your advice and information
>
> Let me take this opportunity to wish you all a very happy Xmas,
> and enjoy the well earned break!
>
> Regards,
> Linda
> ----------------------