Hi Emma
Students at our university do not disclose their disability till after they
have been offered a place, and then it is only if they want to. Many
students, particularly those with mental health issues choose not to. In
fact at one other university in Australia a survey was done which indicated
that all the students who declared that they had a mental health issue,
none would do so again because they felt that they were treated less
favourably.
Cheers
Jenny

At 14:55 20/11/00 +0000, you wrote:
>I have spent this morning in a heated debate about what is
>discrimination and where does it fit with duty of care in
>relation to students with mental health problems and the
>admission process. I am not sure I am comfortable with the
>procedure being considered here and would like to find out
>(a) what do other places do (or don't do) and (b) has any
>body else had these discussions and what was the result.
>
>Specifically, I would appreciate if you could tell me how
>you respond to application from students with mental health
>problems? Who deals with the application - is it the
>disability office? Do you ask for further information e.g.
>doctors letter. What would you do if concerns were raised
>about whether someone was well enough to attend University?
>Would this affect whether an offer was made and who would
>make that decision?
>
>I would appreciate your views. If people respond to me
>directly I would be happy to forward a summary to the list.
>
>very unhappy
>Emma
>

>----------------------
>Emma Coyne