Hi dis-forum from a "down-under" member
Here at Deakin University in Australia we don't need to consider the cost
of accommodation for support workers as our local attendant care provider
trains students who live alongside their friend who requires personal care.
The students are paid at the appropriate rates and it becomes a very viable
part time job whilst they are studying and living in the university
residental accommodation. It is a very successful support program and we
have no trouble employing appropriate staff. Here in Oz attendant/personal
care is govt funded by a community based service separate from their
academic support funding...so there is no conflict. Getting access to this
funding source is where the difficulty arises.
Cheers
Jenny

At 15:58 8/11/00 -0000, you wrote:

>This opened up a huge can of worms when I raised it on dis-forum
>earlier this year (May?) - worth checking the archives. Some
>people had used DSA to pay for support workers' accommodation,
>and some had got the student's Social Services Dept. I don't think
>the student should have to use their DLA - this is for either mobility
>or personal care, depending on which component is being paid.
>
>Sue

>Sue Green
>Disability Co-ordinator
>Student Support & Counselling Service