Dear Angela
I understand the perspective you are working from.  I am currently writing up
my MA about how
the dying individual is negotiating their lives during the time they are dying
given that people can
have a productive and creative time because of palliative care and keen
prognosis.
I agree that in my readings so often a negative stance is taken about the
"grief, sadness, and anger" felt by the mourners or dying as if these feelings
are to avoided because they are "bad/harmful".  Rather than embracing the fact
that these emotions exist, that they are a powerful force and that they have a
beneficial effect for the individual over a period of time.
I would love to hear more about your study.
Sorry I have not heard of the reference.
Karen
At 15:22 26/10/00 +0100, you wrote:

> Hi to you all,
>
> I am currently writing (for PhD thesis) about how rage and anger are
> deliberately edited out of published accounts of dying.  Yesterday I was
told
> that Jill Tweedie had begun writing about her own cancer by publishing what
> was described to me as a very angry piece of work.
>
> I wondered if anyone would have specific references for when this appeared
> and would be kind enough to let me have details.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Angela
>
> Angela Armstrong-Coster
> Department of Sociology
> University of Essex,
> Colchester
> England  CO4  3SQ

There are two tragedies in life. One is not to get your heart's desire.
The other is to gain it.
George Bernard Shaw

Karen Neele
Administration Assistant