Thanks for comments Anne,

However the key issue here is that the list is provided to you from another company so all you get is a contractual warranty over their right to trade in the data assuming you played safe.  You have nothing in your possession apart from the email addresses you purchased/obtained. Such a list by itself is I believe is debateable as personal data.  If you accept the email address alone is personal data the best you can do is to notify the individual via email of the information a data controller is required to provide under section 2(1)(b) and offer them the possibility of deleting it.  Opt out lists in this situation appear pointless as they would only hold the same entry as the email list purchased

Also technically under the phrasing of the Acts Section11 and the definition given to processing in Section 1(1), creating an opt out list does not work as the right an individual has in Section 11 is to opt out of any ‘processing for the purposes of direct marketing’. When operating an opt out list it appears a controller can never comply with Section 11 as they must always ‘process’ personal data when utilising an opt out list even where the opt out list itself does not contain personal data.

I assume however the Commissioner will not pursue or support any arguments that a breach of Section 11 occurs simply by running an opt out process.

Data is processed fairly if you meet a schedule 2 processing condition (in this case legitimate processing) and have not already received a prior notice asking you not to process the email address. This is hardly likely as a person does not yet know you have their email address unless the seller has told them.

Not sure giving two opt out boxes works if challenged given the right is to opt out of all processing for any direct marketing so why should I have to tick two opt outs.

Opt in works better in this scenario. The Direct Marketing opt out right is not necessarily an opt out from a controller passing a list to a third party this only appears to work if the purpose of passing the data is that defined by the direct marketing definition in Section 11. I wonder if anyone else has a view on this point.

As ever with the drafting of this legislation everything is not quite as it seems at first glance.

David Wyatt