I've got Andrew Charlesworth's draft guidelines (for JISC) with me here so I'll give you his interpretation. This guidelines will be checked over by the DPC although the final interpretation probably lies ahead in case law. (See - I'm learning about law 'n' everything!)

Personal data such as staff names, pictures, contact details etc that goes on the www is, by definition, released outside the EU and therefore contravenes the Eighth DP principal unless one has the consent of the data subject. Data subjects should be able to assert their normal rights. Institutions should consider their reasons for displaying the data.

Data that is supplied for the purposes of the normal organisational functioning and management of the institution (i.e calenders and prospectuses) should not require the consent of data subjects to be displayed BUT the data subjects must be informed and they still retain the right to object to the use of their data where it would cause them significant damage or distress.

So my take is this:
Data on the web contravenes the eighth prinicipal, by definition.
If data on the web is not displayed already in printed form then you need the data subjects explicit consent.
If data on the web is already displayed in printed form, you do not need explicit consent BUT the data subjects must be informed of this use of their data and they have rights to object  (that seems like a kind of half-way house)

I will try to draw this to the attention of Phil Boyd when he reads through the guidelines. I'll let you all know what happens. (Should be this month).

Amber.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Amber Thomas
Assistant Information Strategies Coordinator
Joint Information Systems Committee
C35 Cherry Tree Buildings
University of Nottingham, Nottm NG7 2RD
Tel: 0115 8466054
Fax: 0115 9514791
email: [log in to unmask]
url: www.jisc.ac.uk/info_strat/

>>> Jane Howard <[log in to unmask]> 07/20/00 03:15pm >>>
According to the guidance published by the DPC on transborder dataflows and the 8th principle, the data controller should
also inform the data subject that consent to publishing their personal details on the Web means that their information may
be accessed in countries where their rights are not protected by law, otherwise the consent is not valid (para 8.2 of
'International Transfers Summary' document).  I don't see how this requirement can be met by merely saying that you can
publish personal data on the Web because it already exists in printed form.

It would be very helpful if the ODPC would give some clear guidance on this, rather than issuing contradictory statements,
so that institutions know exactly where they stand and what they have to do.

Jane Howard
Administrator
Coventry University