At 10:41 am +0000 6/3/00, [log in to unmask] wrote:
>I have heard a rumour that the Source Informatics judgement has been
>overturned.  Can anyone confirm this please?
>
>Roy Candy
>Data Protection Officer
>Northampton General Hospital NHS Trust
This is the Court of Appeal judgement from the Times Law Report!

Maurice Frankel
Campaign for Freedom of Information

January 18 2000 COURT OF APPEAL
Prescription information usable if names concealed

Regina v Department of Health, Ex parte Source Informatics Ltd
Before Lord Justice Simon Brown, Lord Justice Aldous and Lord Justice Schiemann
[Judgment December 21, 1999]
As long as a patient's identity was protected, it would not be a
breach of confidence for general practitioners and pharmacists to
disclose to a third party, without the patient's consent, the
information contained in the patient's prescription form for
marketing research purposes.
The Court of Appeal so stated allowing the appeal of the applicants,
Source Informatics Ltd, from the decision of Mr Justice Latham (The
Times June 14, 1999; [1999] 4 All ER 185) who had dismissed their
application for a declaration that a policy document issued by the
Department of Health was erroneous because it said a scheme, whereby
all the information contained on the patient's prescription form,
except that which would identify the patient, sold by the dispensing
pharmacist to Source to be stored on a database used by
pharmaceutical companies, was a breach of confidence.
Mr Michael Beloff, QC, Mr Charles Flint, QC and Miss Sarah Moore for
Source; Mr Mark Howard, QC and Ms Jemima Stratford for the
Association of British Pharmaceutical Industry; Mr Nigel Pleming, QC,
for the National Pharmaceutical Association Ltd; Lord Lester of Herne
Hill, QC and Ms Helen Mountfield for the General Medical Council; Mr
Phillip Havers, QC, for the Medical Research Council (all
interveners); Mr Philip Sales and Mr Jason Coppell for the Department
of Health.
LORD JUSTICE SIMON BROWN said that the information contained on the
prescription form consisted of the general practitioner's name, the
patient's name, the date of prescription, the product prescribed and
the quantity prescribed.
Pharmacists, for their own purposes, entered that information on to
their computer database together with details of the product
dispensed and the date of prescription.
The applicants had no interest in the patients' names and identities
but every interest in the rest of the information, in particular the
general practitioners' names and the products they prescribed.
To obtain that they needed the cooperation of both the prescribing
general practitioners and the dispensing pharmacists, and that they
did by modest payments: in the case of general practitioners, £15 to
a charity of the general practitioner's choice; in the case of
pharmacists, £150 a year.
For their part, the pharmacists downloaded all the information,
except that which would identify the patients, by means of specially
designed computer software and then passed it to the applicants for
aggregation.
The applicants thus created a database comprising information on
products prescribed by individual general practitioners in the United
Kingdom.
Was there anything unlawful about such a process? In particular, did
it involve a breach of the patient's confidence?
Mr Sales' case was that the patient's sole purpose in handing over
the prescription was so that the pharmacist might dispense the drugs
prescribed. That, therefore, was the only use of it that was
authorised.
By anonymising the information, he submitted, the pharmacist did not
cease to be under a duty of confidence with regard to it. The very
act of anonymisation involved manipulation of the information and was
itself objectionable.
The only reason the pharmacist had something to sell was because the
patient had handed over his prescription. Even when anonymous, it was
still not in the public domain. To sell any part of it was to misuse
it.
His Lordship found those arguments not merely unconvincing but wholly unreal.
It was true that, even though anonymous, the information which the
pharmacists proposed to sell to the applicants was still not in the
public domain. But whether or not that mattered must surely depend on
the interest at stake.
If government information was involved, then whether or not the
information had entered the public domain might prove decisive. If
trade secrets, including intellectual property rights, were involved,
then the position might be different.
What then of a case like the present which involved personal
confidences? What interest was the law protecting? In his Lordship's
view the answer was plain. The concern of the law was to protect the
confider's personal privacy. That alone was the right at issue.
The patient had no proprietorial claim to the prescription form or to
the information it contained. The patient could bestow or withhold
his custom as he pleased.
The pharmacist had no such right. He was by law bound to dispense to
whoever presented a prescription. But that gave the patient no
property in the information and no right to control its use provided
only that his privacy was not put at risk.
Participation in the applicant's scheme by doctors and pharmacists
would not expose them to any serious risk of successful breach of
confidence proceedings by a patient.
If the Department of Health continued to view such schemes as
operating against the public interest, then it must take further
powers in the already heavily regulated area to control their effect.
The law of confidence must not be distorted for the purpose.
Lord Justice Aldous and Lord Justice Schiemann agreed.
Solicitors: Clifford Chance; Cameron McKenna; Freshfields; Field
Fisher Waterhouse; Treasury Solicitor; Solicitor, Department of
Health.
Arts (Mon - Fri) | Books (Sat) (Thu) | British News | Business |
Court page | Features (Mon - Fri) | Go (Sat) | Interface (Mon) | Law
(Tue) | Metro (Sat) | Obituaries | Opinion | Sport | Travel (Sat)
(Thu) | Vision (Sat) | Weather | Weekend (Sat) | Weekend Money (Sat)
| World News

Court of Appeal
Detriment entitles employee to end contract
Expert witness not disqualified by reason of his emplyment
Power to hear appeal against findings of fact
Next: Lord Chief Justice's Court - Allocation of business in the
Crown Court  Copyright 2000 Times Newspapers Ltd. This service is
provided on Times Newspapers' standard terms and conditions. To
inquire about a licence to reproduce material from The Times, visit
the Syndication website.