I would tend to agree as personal data is defined as data which identifies a
living individual from data in the possession of, or likely to come into the
possession of, the data controller.  Whilst email leaves a trail via IP
numbers that trail crosses several data controller boundaries.

When signing up to an ISP e.g Freeserve  the user does not have to supply
any personal details, simply sufficient responses to pass data validation
tests.  Freeserve does collect the telephone number via CLI which cannot be
blocked if wishing to gain a working service but this will only be able to
be positively linked to the subscriber of the telephone line assuming such
data is accessible to freeserve.
The telephone number could also be matched with an IP reference number which
ultimately, given the right circumstances,  trace a machine.

The telephone subscriber however  is not necessarily the email user.
Similar arguments can arise with a paying service as the person paying may
be different to the user.

A data controller can assume information linkages to try to identify a
living individual but risks breaching the DPA when getting assumptions
wrong.  If a persons identity could be accurately proved by data controllers
via their email identity then one of the barriers to successful E-Commerce
would be removed.

As you point out information contained in the email may connect with other
data in the possession of the data controller which can then identify the
individual.

Dave Wyatt