Dear Sally and Freinds,
1. Indeed the USA does not have an "adequate arrangement" within the spirit
of the EU decree and UK DP law.
2. "Adquate Arrangements" exsists only in several countries outside EU e.g.,
Israel (Privacy Protection LAw 1981 and Protection of Databases Regulations
1986).
3. True all of us have a problem of protection of privacy in cases where we
need to use transborder dataflow for good reasons.
4. International Chamber of Commerce, has suggested contractual specific
arrangements within a frame of contractual clauses. As the Decree enables to
co-operate with entities in countries where the legak system is insufficient
and does not ensure the principal rights.
5. A sample is a German special permit to process in USA the transaction by
Credit Cards sold by a USA firm to German Citizens. The German Data
Protection Registrar (the equivalent to UK DP R ) is supervsing regularly
the site where such data processed for specific adequate arrangements of
security as well as proper handling of customers complaints if any.

The clauses are available in the ICC site.
To learn more and get some real guidelines use
:http://www.oecd.org//dsti/sti/it/secur/act/cont-e.htm

Regards

Yosi Margalit LL.B. CISA
Member of the Public Council for Protection of Privacy
Ministry of Justice, Government of Israel
reply to: [log in to unmask]
Tel ++972-3-5464642, Mobile :972-58-804368
FAX : ++972-3-5463152