[log in to unmask] writes:

<< You should not need consent for internal processing, storing etc.  Putting
 material on your website, ouh ehhh ehmmmmm, as long as the staff have been
 clearly informed if they do not object you can do (pure DP says that you
 must have express consent).

 Now, I am a little more skeptical that because we could come to some
 arrangement to publish data on our web site, we could jist hand it
 over to be published on some other site.  Then we are not in control of
 that data.

 Watch out that whatever you do your staff are individually and clearly
 informed and they have the right to object.  Watch out that the Head of
 department does not send you the information and the academics are never
 told. >>

It is a dangerous road travelled by the person who says consent is not needed
for internal processing.

Confucius he say:  "Process not the information excessive to the purpose for
which the data is given."

In other words, if the detail given by the academics is in relation to their
post at the Uni, other information about their achievements may be excessive
and therefore consent to process would be required under Schedule 2.

To transfer the data all over the world (see Principle 8) would need the
explicit, informed (and in my view written) consent of the individual.  Most
academics I know would definitely consent to this worldwide free publicity,
provided it puts them in a good light, so getting them to put their monicker
on a piece of paper should be a piece of cake.

And just think how much better you'd sleep at night.

Ian Buckland
MD
Keep IT Legal Ltd