[log in to unmask] wrote:

> It seemed an unfortunate turn of phrase by the DP Registrar this evening (on
> Channel 4 News) to say that it was up to organizations to *see* that that
> data was erased from the hard disks of their old computers before disposal.
>
> It is not possible to see magnetic data, is it?

According to the Oxford Mini Dictionary by my desk, to see
means to "perceive with the mind or eye ... make sure ...
attend to", so I don't see (perceive with my mind) what the
problem is here.

> The point seems to be worth making because so much of the discussion on this
> list seems to be indicating the new DPA Act will be ineffective in so many
> ways.
>
> How can hard disks be made completely unreadable short of physical
> destruction?   Does not repartitioning just destroy some areas of the disk?
>
> So to be effective would not the law have to require the electronic
> equivalent of a paper shredder?

I didn't see (with my eyes) the programme, but if it was saying
that sensitive data could be extracted from old computers unless
appropriate measures were taken by the disposing organisation,
then I think that is a valid point.  If that means shreading old
computers or vaporising them so be it.  Rather that than have our
bank acocunts cleaned out or our health details published on the
Web.

What I would like to see from this list are clear examples of
procedures, forms etc. that allow the principles of the act to
be applied in practice.
Malcolm Stewart                  http://www.roe.ac.uk/~jms/
UK Astronomy Technology Centre   http://www.roe.ac.uk/atc/
Royal Observatory                Direct:      +44 (0)131 668 8375
Blackford Hill                   Switchboard: +44 (0)131 668 8100
Edinburgh EH9 3HJ, UK            Fax:         +44 (0)131 668 1130