----- Original Message -----
From: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Wednesday, June 28, 2000 9:54 AM
Subject: Looked after children

>      To acquire this data Social Services will need to pass onto the
health
>      authority the names of those in care for them to let us know
>      percentage rates etc.  So although we wouldn't be finding out
>      individual information from the health authority we would need to
pass
>      them a list of names so they can carry out the calculations.
>
>      What do you think?

Processing (disclosure, carrying out any operation or set of operations and
destruction) of personal data will clearly be taking place.  From the brief
description given it appears the Health Authority will be acting as a data
processor for the Social Services in respect of that personal data provided
by the Social Services.  The disclosure of the resultant statistical
information may/may not come under the act dependent on whether any
individuals can be identified "from those data and other information which
is in the possession of, or is likely to come intothe possession of, the
data controller," i.e. Social Services.

A data processor agreement will be required to cover the processing - DPA
1998 Schedule 1 Sections 11 and 12.
Does not sound as though it will need to be all that complicated in the
circumstances described.

Ian