A question or two about direct marketing and opting out;

1. If I exercise my right to opt out of DM with an organisation, is that
right carried forward when that organisation sell/rents their information to
another data controller? Or, to ensure I do not receive stuff from the
second, third, fourth ... organisations, do I have to write to all of them
as well?

2. Conversely, what dictates whether I have the right as a data controller,
to pass on information to other data controllers. The scenario might be ..

Following June strategic review, it has been decided that we could improve
cash flow by selling our database to another company. As this was not the
original purpose for collecting the data how do we 'get round' Principle 2.
If our imaginary organisation is exempt from notification (and thus pigeon
hole Purposes), deciding on what an 'incompatible manner' is, is going to be
tricky!