It seems to me that the operative point here is that the material is ONLY on
> the backups. In other words, it has been deleted from the live systems. I
> think it could be argued that this information is not relevant for a data
> subject access request. The only way of finding out if there is any
relevant
> data would be to restore the backups and do a search. I personally think
> this is going over the top in these cases.
-----

During the first transitional period back up data is not available under the
subject access provisions (Section 12, Schedule 8.)  However it appears
archived material is.  After 24 October 2001 back up data may be accessible
via subject access if the data subject so requests.

In discussing the necessity to access back ups in response to a subject
access requests (when that becomes necessary) it will probably be down to a
judgement of the person responsible for data protection within the
organisation on what constitues disproportionate effort when balanced
against the data subjects requirements.  Difficult decisions are ahead for
some.  Any decision will need to be defendable at Tribunal or Court.  Will
some test of proportionality (as in the Human Rights Arena) be required as
data protection develops in this area....

Ian