Yosi

Many thanks for taking the trouble to think these issues through. There is
however still an issues in my mind to be resolved.

Yes, I agree that the 'handshake' is part of the contractual process' and is
probably public domain.Yes, using sniffer software to look into the data
subject's PC settings/logs appears to be an obvious breach of their rights.
But what about a record of the browser's interests based on pages clicked or
items purchased, that is then either "processed" internally or sold on to a
third party. My feeling is that you would have to get informed consent to do
this.

Much is now being made of collaboration filtering, whereby I can predict the
desires of a browser and direct my marketing to him/her based on the
habits/purchases of completely different data subjects. This information is
valuable and transferable. Dangerous?!

Duncan S Smith