The CoP I have been writing (nearly completed folks) makes the
case for publishing staff work contact details on the Web - when I
ran the matter briefly past Liz France, the DPC, at a conference we
were both speaking at, she had no problem with the approach
taken.

Andrew

> According to the guidance published by the DPC on transborder
> dataflows and the 8th principle, the data controller should also
> inform the data subject that consent to publishing their personal
> details on the Web means that their information may be accessed in
> countries where their rights are not protected by law, otherwise
> the consent is not valid (para 8.2 of 'International Transfers
> Summary' document).  I don't see how this requirement can be met
> by merely saying that you can publish personal data on the Web
> because it already exists in printed form.
>
> It would be very helpful if the ODPC would give some clear
> guidance on this, rather than issuing contradictory statements, so
> that institutions know exactly where they stand and what they have
> to do.

Andrew Charlesworth
Director, Information Law and Technology Unit
University of Hull Law School
Hull, HU6 7RX, UK.
Tel UK: (1482) 466387
Tel Canada: (905) 938 2133