I have been working on the assumption that the CoP would not be
ready for use until the next academic session 2000-2001, and that
by that time HE and FE institutions should be looking at the longer
term anyway.

A.

> Whilst not wishing to stop you in any way being helpful to your hypothetical
> PhD student, I think we should be clear as to what the Act requires when
> writing a CoP.  If the purpose of examining was under way on 23 Oct 1998 then
> the transitional provisions can apply. It is your choice.  It does not relate
> to a specific student but whether or not the data controller was undertaking
> that purpose on the specified date.   We will all have to address these issues
> but I'm not doing it for this examination season!

> Trevor Field <[log in to unmask]> on 31/05/2000 08:46:54
>
> Andrew's draft guidelines on exams will be helpful, notably in providing
> "evidence" for disbelieving colleagues as we try to persuade them of the
> implications of DPA!
>
> The note about assuming that the Act is fully in force right now
> is (I think) the only way in which one can avoid fruitless and
> possibly damaging arguments about whether one can technically
> withhold information.  Take a hypothetical case of a PhD student
> arguing about evaluation of thesis.  Would it be worth arguing that
> the student was on-going from pre-98, and that the work in eventual
> thesis was started pre-98, so that the external comments made in
> (say) 2000 were therefore part of an on-going process?  I doubt it -
> or if it *were* worth it, it would probably be because of (or
> certainly suggest) lack of faith in comments.  No?
>
> So while I have argued for sticking to the Act on various other
> things, and not being press-ganged into early release, I do think
> that on this one it's important to get all examiners acting "as if"
> immediately.

Andrew Charlesworth
Senior Lecturer in IT law
Director, Information Law and Technology Unit
University of Hull Law School
Hull, UK, HU6 7RX
Voice: 01482 466387   Fax:   01482 466388
E-mail: [log in to unmask]