I only got two replies to the e-mail below. They were to paraphrase:

1. The institution is the data controller where work is done in the
course of studies and even where the student does private stuff on
University systems

2. The students are not employees and therefore do not fall under the
Universities processing conditions and are responsible for their own
data. Which I take to mean the University is a Data Processor and the
individual student's their own Data Controllers

Thanks both of you for your responses, but I'm not a lot clearer. Can
anyone else offer an opinion.

Many thanks

David Marsh