From: David Fleming [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 21 November 2000 17:12
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: RE: PVP markers database

Nicola,

Your first paragraph gives you the clue.

If.... the Council has a policy of banning people in certain defined
circumstances, then they would have to have fair and legal reasons

If then,.....have a database with these individuals, it must only contain
the facts of the ban, and the reasons stated by the Council, or one of its
officials, acting on Council instructions.

As I understand it, just because you don't like data against your name, you
can object, but you cannot insist on its removal if it is fair and legal.

As I read it, you could even have a person on the database, who had come to
your notice, but who had not actually been banned because of lack of
evidence, provided the data was collected fairly and legally.

It is when one gets into unsubstantiated judgements that one runs foul of a
number of laws, not just the DP Act..

Hope this helps.

With kind regards

David Fleming