Ian,

Even Mrs France in her covering letter said that the advice given last
year was "...not binding...." on authorities. This is not to say it was
advisable to go against her - on receipt of the advice we followed it.
However, new advice has come along not simply disagreeing with the
previous, but identifying a flaw in the argument and going on to look at
"...what parliament intended...." and giving a view that local authorities
have the required 'vires'.

I don't know - yet - nor have I addressed in any posting to date HOW we
ensure compliance with the first principle. I do agree, and have said,  it
should, nay MUST be complied with - as must principles 2 to 8. All I have
tried to make clear is that the first 'hurdle', that of 'vires' as introduced by
ODPC last year and thought to be insurmountable, is - in my opinion - no
longer a problem.

Whilst thinking about 'what the intention was', the argument turns on your
assertion of the two alternatives. The way you put it, "was it to let
councils use C Tax info as they wish" or "prevent the Secretary of State
imposing regulations that would infringe the rights of individual privacy" -
looks very different when expressed "was it to let councils use C Tax
information wisely to better perform their statutory (and related) duties"
or "position Chinese walls so that one part of the council doesn't know
what another part is doing - to the detriment of service users, not to
mention all common sense".

Yes mine may seem extreme from your point of view (it is, deliberately
overstressed to make the point), but so is yours from my point of view -
beauty is, as they say, in the eye of the beholder!!

Dave U