Sorry to clog up the network with a mild complaint - so please delete when
read.

My concern is the informal use of the term used for the medical condition
schizophrenia, i.e. schizophrenic. The informal usage definition being -
experiencing or maintaining contradictory attitudes, emotions, etc.

The use of this term to describe contradictory roles, in Charles's email
below, tends to perpetuates the popular view that schizophrenia is
manifested only through symptoms such as split personality or worse, Jekyll
and Hyde.  This is far from the case - there are many symptoms of
schizophrenia, of which this is the most notorious, sensational and populist
held understanding.

Informal use of terms for medical conditions is deeply hurtful to sufferers
and carers, particularly when the usage tends to consolidate popular
misunderstanding of the condition.

Sorry Charles - I'm not having a go at you.  This email requires no

Gil Richardson
Senior Information Manager
RCGP

email:     [log in to unmask]