So anyone can complain then!!!

-----Original Message-----
From: [log in to unmask]
Sent: 12 October 2000 12:33
To: Pounder Chris
Cc: [log in to unmask]
Subject: RE: FW: Confidential Mental Health recs

All
Have spoken to Rob Meakin, ODPC.:

At present there is no Policy in place to go out and search for breaches -
basically wait for complaint.   The DPC does have powers to enforce the law
in relation to breaches but again, financial probs are the issue and this is
rarely done.  The costs of taking these actions to Court have to be balanced
with other issues and therefore from my conversation, I believe nothing is
done although the DPC may be contacted by journalists to comment and that is
the only way they usually deal with it.  As with the Banks breaching the Act
on the Internet - these are technical issues which they themselves know they
have to resolve as they will lose customers.

Rob agreed with my view and he does understand our frustration so if you
haven't signed up to "Back the Act" do so now.

Doreen Broom
Data Administrator
Scottish Borders Council
Council HQ