At 9:54 am +0100 24/7/00, Hodgetts, Jonathan wrote:
>I have read the Code of Practice and understand data subject's right of
>access, but still do not understand why anyone should wish to see the CCTV
>of themselves?  Unlike text data on computer/paper it cannot be inaccurate,
>or slanderous.  It simply records an event (like someone walking down the
>street).  The data subject does not need to see image, to know what they
>did.  Why should they wish to view unless, they have just carried out, or
>are about to carry out a criminal activity and want to see your CCTV's area
>of coverage, or am I just being very cynical!

You may want to know to what extent a recording has caught, or is
likely to catch, matter which you would normally regard as private:

(a) you are sitting on a bench in a shopping mall writing a letter,
or a diary, and the CCTV is (or may be) recording what you write over
your shoulder

(b) you are having a private conversation and the recording is full
face and capable of being read by a lip-reader

(c) you are in a library or bookshop and the titles you are browsing
are visible on the recording, and relate to a health, legal or sexual
problem, from which inferences about your own circumstances are
likely to be drawn.

Maurice Frankel