** Reply to note from "Amber Thomas" <[log in to unmask]> Fri, 21 Jul 2000 10:42:08 +0100

> Charles,
>
> That last point about "do we ask for reasons" sounds crucial. One of the
> background principals to DP seems to be that the data subject has protection
> against significant damage or distress. Since "significant" will be determined
> in court on a case-to-case basis then the institution would be hard pushed to
> determine which reasons are or are not acceptable for a data subject
> opting-out. "Don't ask their reasons" seems sensible advice. Do colleagues ask
> for reasons or does no just mean no?

I would take no as NO.  No further justification or explanation should be
required.  Primarily, if we were applying the rules in their absolute
sence, and staff had to opt in, a non-reply would be as good as not-opting
in.  Thus, given I would bend the rules (I hope and pray on the code of
conduct) the opting out is unquestionable.

> (In fact, if people reply "no" in an
> email or memo and state their reasons, then that email or memo is subject to
> the Act itself, presumably. - Do we dispose of the reasons once they have been offered?)

I would like to know why in order to understand reasons and know what to
watch out for, in order to protect staff or students.  If they gave it to
me in writting AND if we have gone down the route of collecting papers
with signatures opting in/opting out etc, I would probably keep it but I
should not have kept it.

All this in 10% of my time. One happy afternoon every week.

:-)
Charles

Charles Christacopoulos, Secretary's Office, University of Dundee,
Dundee DD1 4HN, (Scotland) United Kingdom.
Tel: +44+(0)1382-344891. Fax: +44+(0)1382-201604.
http://somis.ais.dundee.ac.uk/
Scottish Search Maestro http://somis2.ais.dundee.ac.uk/