At 13:20 17/07/00 +0000, [log in to unmask] wrote:
 >as well as the Principles, I would add the considerations arising from the
 >draft (Preliminary) Codes of Practice issued under the RIP Bill about
 >directed surveillance(accessible from
 >http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/oicd/ripbill.htm

My interpretation is that if you are the network operator and monitoring to
protect the operation of the network, the RIP Codes of Practice don't
apply. The only relevant sections of the Bill appear to be 1(6) which
defines some people who can lawfully intercept a private network:

1(6)
(a) he is a person with a right to control the operation or the use of the
system; or
(b) he has the express or implied consent of such a person to make the
interception.

and 3(3) which says what that person can lawfully do

(3) Conduct consisting in the interception of a communication is authorised
by this section if-
(a) it is conduct by or on behalf of a person who provides a postal service
or a telecommunications service; and
(b) it takes place for purposes connected with the provision or operation
of that service or with the enforcement, in relation to that service, of
any enactment relating to the use of postal services or telecommunications
services.

I've been looking at the problem from the point of view of someone
debugging a network service. I'd welcome comments on whether my
interpretation of that situation looks right and whether monitoring to
ensure compliance with an acceptable use policy would come under the "...
enforcement ... of any enactment relating to the use of ..." in 3(b) ?

Andrew

Andrew Cormack
Head of CERT
UKERNA, Atlas Centre, Chilton, Didcot, Oxon. OX11 0QS

Phone:  01235 822 302    E-mail: [log in to unmask]
Fax:    01235 822 398