** Reply to note from <[log in to unmask]> Mon, 10 Jul 2000 15:49:16 +0100

> Hello
> Our College Enrolments Manager has just come back from a conference where he
> was advised that under the data protection act we now have to get a students
> permission to contact his or hers parents.  For students under the age of 19
> we have always gone direct to the parents when the need arises, ie
> disciplinary matters etc. Are we now acting illegally?
>
> I would be grateful for any guidance on this matter.

Why 19 is the first thing that comes to mind and not 18 being a kind of
breaking point.

Universities cannot contact parents as the "contract" is between the
student and the University ... we are not supposed to disclose anything in
particular to parents.  Only - I guess - if they are down as next of kin
etc.

FE colleges because they traditionally had students aged 16 or thereabouts
may have to get in touch with the parents without seeking permission.  I
guess, it depends who has the contract with you when someone is studying
with you.  Are the parents still the legal whatsits for someone under 18?

What if someone started studying before they were 18 and the need to
contact the parents comes when they were 18+

Charles

Charles Christacopoulos, Secretary's Office, University of Dundee,
Dundee DD1 4HN, (Scotland) United Kingdom.
Tel: +44+(0)1382-344891. Fax: +44+(0)1382-201604.
http://somis.ais.dundee.ac.uk/
Scottish Search Maestro http://somis2.ais.dundee.ac.uk/