I find it disappointing that it has been totally left to institutions to determine adequacy, which I would have thought most of
us are ill-equipped to do, apart from being too busy with other things.  It is hinted in the DPA that the European
Commission might make findings of adequacy or indeed of inadequacy, and it's a pity that, having imposed this principle in
the first place through the Directive, more hasn't been done to make it easier for data controllers to comply with it.

I know we all talk a lot these days about the contractual nature of the student-institution relationship, but I am a bit uneasy
about using this to justify processing in general and transborder dataflows in particular.  My line manager attended an
AHUA meeting recently where heads were advised against relying on the existence of a contract, as this had yet to be
tested in the courts.

My advice to colleagues has been to seek informed consent from the data subject, making it clear that consent means that
their personal data will be accessible in countries where their rights are not protected by law.

Jane Howard
Coventry University