I am not very familiar with data protection legislation and I
have recently recieved notification about the new provisions of
the 1998 Data Protection Act, in particular with its implications for
the keeping of manual records. I would be most interested to obtain
information on how the new Act applies to Charities or 'private'
organisations. I undertake some voluntary work for two local medical
charities and I have contact with the Freemasons organisation and
especially with one Masonic Lodge which provides substantial
donations for our medical research. I am concerned to
ensure that the records that I maintain and use do not contravene any
important legislation. Any guidance would be very much
appreciated.

Dr John C. Giddings
Tel +44 2920 744138 (Direct)
Fax +44 2920 748377