Whilst agreeing with Ian that it is best to be open about references whenever
possible, I am not sure what the position is with regard to references given
by past employers.  The normal situation is that a prospective employee quotes
a named person at the past employer and not something like 'The Personnel
Officer'.  Therefore, I believe that the reference contain third party
information relating to a living individual and not just the plc.  If the
prospective employee quotes two referees then it will be pretty clear which
reference is from which person.  Although some wording could be left after the
removal of all that identifies the provider, the results will be pretty
useless.  Therefore the best policy is to ask for permission to release the
reference when obtaining it.

Dennis Barrington-Light

[log in to unmask] on 28/04/2000 07:40:39

Please respond to [log in to unmask]