** Reply to note from Adrian Tribe <[log in to unmask]> Mon, 17 Apr 2000 14:06:38 +0100

I doubt you'll get what you want.

> Dear list members,
>
> I wonder if anyone on the list can point me in the direction
> of any resources that would tell me what sort of information
> is caught by Section 34 of the DPA, which states that personal
> data are exempt from some of the requirements of the Act if
> the data controller is obliged 'by or under enactment' to make
> it available to the public.

I was wrong when I thought Unis had to publish lists of graduating
students.  The reverse seems to be the case.

> At two of the recent JISC Assist events that I attended there
> was some discussion of this point with reference to University
> statutes and the info that an institution is obliged to publish,
> which included (I think) such things as List of Governors,
> Senior staff member salaries, .... (and much more?).  Can anyone
> come up with a general list of the sorts of things (personal data)
> they know their own institution is obliged to publish?

Some salaries get published in an anonymous format in annual reports.  I
don't think salaries beyond what the principal earns can be found published.

We publish lists of staff in the paper version of our Calendar (and because I
never asked the question, in the electronic version too).  You'll probably
find that very little has to be published.

---------

Do you want to put all your staff on the web?  If yes, my best guess is that
you will probably get away by saying who (academic staff) you got working for
you but give no more details about them.  Not even, whithout prior explicit
permission, the accronyms that follow names, eg. BA, MSc, HND, PhD etc.

I have probably got the wrong end of the question you did not ask ... but it
makes life more interesting :-)

Charles

Charles Christacopoulos, Secretary's Office, University of Dundee,
Dundee DD1 4HN, (Scotland) United Kingdom.
Tel: +44+(0)1382-344891. Fax: +44+(0)1382-201604.
http://somis.ais.dundee.ac.uk/
Scottish Search Maestro http://somis2.ais.dundee.ac.uk/