	The new Act defines direct marketing as the communication(by
whatever means) of any advertising or marketing material which is directed
to particular individuals.  I have been considering  much the same questions
as you and in my view, block advertising can be differentiated because it is
not targeting me individually.  Inserts would be the same except that having
material individually addressed perhaps makes a difference in both cases. We
could overcome this with an internal distribution but not when we send
things to students. I am taking a common sense view and like you taking
steps to enable suppression of inserts where objections are received but not
any action about block advertising. We have payslip advertising currently
but this will be discontinued at the end of the present contract. We also
have affinity marketing schemes through our development office but
individuals are made aware of these from the outset and given a chance to
"opt-out"(& the DPCO have expressed the view than an opt out will be
sufficient).
	A related issue which has cropped up is sending marketing material
to individuals which although addressed to them as individuals is really to
them in their work capacity (eg as Training Officer of an organisation). I
would have hoped that this would be exempt but the DPCO's view is that it is
not. Under the old Act it would not have been processing by reference to the
individual but since reference to the individual is not now required, it is
caught.  I am not sure how this better protects the rights and freedoms of
data subjects...........
	Gail Waters
	DP Coordinator
	Open University