Does the note from UCAS say anything about the data having to be passed
on to HESA?  At the first two JISC workshops this issue was discussed
and it was felt that on UCAS's blurb to applicants this should be made
clear.  It would appear from your first paragraph below that this isn't
the case.  Is that right?

Best wishes,
Adrian

At 12:10 05/04/00 +0100, you wrote:

>Today I received a copy of a briefing note from UCAS re the DPA. The notes
>about applicants' consent generally make sense, but there are two points of
>particular interest/concern.
>
>1       UCAS point out that they currently advise potential students that
>data
>given will be used only (i) by relevant HE staff for considering applications
>and (ii) to enable HEIs to set up initial records.   UCAS then (in this
>circular) advise that "it of course follows that to use it for any other
>purpose would be in contravention [of DPA]".
<snip>

Adrian Tribe <[log in to unmask]>
Web Editor, Birkbeck College, University of London